SubjectRe: [GIT] Networking
On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 11:49 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> [ Apart from the annoyance of also having to manually copying the
> firmware files: why the heck doesn't that firmware tree even have a
> "make firmware-install" makefile or something? The kernel has a "make
> firmware-install" thing, why doesn't the firmware tree itself have
> that?

Yeah, the main reason I haven't yet submitted a patch to remove the
legacy firmware/ directory from the kernel source, as discussed at the
Kernel Summit, is because I need to implement some makefiles for the
firmware tree first.

I'll do a 'make install' for the firmware tree which installs it all,
and lets you specify min/max kernel versions so you can omit stuff that
*really* isn't relevant.

I also want to preserve the CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option, but that
can't easily be based on the hardcoded knowledge of the config options;
it wants to be based on the MODULE_FIRMWARE tags of the built-in
drivers. And once we're enumerating those, it should be relatively
simple to warn about missing firmwares in the non-FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
case too.

I didn't find the time to do that for the 2.6.38 merge window, but I
should get it done for 2.6.39.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2011-01-07 21:37    [W:0.064 / U:0.864 seconds]