SubjectRe: [patch] checkpatch: putting the && or || on the wrong line
On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 22:14 +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> > Right. It's all exactly the same.
> > We agree. Cites aren't necessary.
> People complained on lkml and other lists that the CodingStyle /
> checkpatch went way too far many times. So the evidence is there, in the
> list archives, and I guess even now you're getting feedback on this.

People complain, that's a fact.

> OTOH you failed to show evidence that super-strict standardization
> benefits anyone.

I don't need to.

If you don't agree with the assertion,
facts likely won't change your mind.
You'll more likely dispute the facts.

Look up this paper if you care to though:

Evaluating the Relation Between Coding
Standard Violations and Faults Within and
Across Software Versions

Cathal Boogerd and Leon Moonen

http://swerl.tudelft.nl/twiki/pub/Main/TechnicalReports/TUD-SERG-2009-008.pdf

RQ2 Are files or modules with a higher violation
density more fault-prone?

This holds for 10 rules in the standard, with some reserva-
tions. There is no reliable prediction for files without ac-
tive development (no changes) nor for files without viola-
tions. Also, the observed relation becomes less pronounced
in time, as the number of registered open faults decreases.

  Last update: 2011-01-06 22:41    [W:0.066 / U:1.956 seconds]