SubjectRe: [RFC v2 0/10] hid-multitouch: a first step towards multitouch unification
On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:

> Hi Henrik,
>
> thanks for the future review ;)
>
> Well, patches n° 3,4,5,6 and 7 are only those sent by Stéphane and
> reviewed by you 3 months ago with small changes:
> - I took into account most of your comments
> - I inserted suspend/resume support
> - I implemented a way to find out the end of a mt report.
>
> Patch 1 (hid: add feature_mapping callback) is new but not very
> dangerous I think: it only adds a hook. Thanks to it, I could retrieve
> the magic number which is device-specific.
>
> Patch 2 (hid: set HID_MAX_FIELD at 128) may need further discussions
> (but is required to use Stantum panels)
>
> the last patches only introduce support for 3 devices, 1 of them is
> new for the kernel.
>
> The point is that currently we have users that want to have a proper
> support for their device (PixCir, Cypress TrueTouch and GeneralTouch),
> and it's a shame to ask them to wait for 3 more months.
>
> Maybe a solution would be to make what we can here during this merge
> window to add support for at least the new devices. Then, in 2.6.39
> and above, we could still migrate other devices, and eventually modify
> some lines in the code.
>
> Jiri, Dmitry, what do you think?

I still have to go through the patchset, my backlog has grown very badly
recently, sorry.

In case the patchset doesn't impose danger of regressions for already
existing devices, we could merge this new 'unified' driver only for newly
supported devices, and finish the unification in 2.6.39.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.