    SubjectRe: cgroup scheduling: Adding kthreadd to a non-RT cgroup can deadlock the kernel
    Ok. I bothered reporting this here since the kernel /does/ try to prevent you
    from shooting yourself in the foot in related ways, by moving existing
    SCHED_FIFO tasks into a cgroup without any RT runtime, so I figured it might
    make sense to add a check here. libcgroup, for example, will try to move all
    processes into a default cgroup, ignoring errors, and relies on the kernel to
    prevent it from shooting itself in the foot.

    It sounds like you consider that behavior a bug, though, so I'll go report this
    bug there.

    - Nelson

    On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Peter Zijlstra <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 23:54 -0500, Nelson Elhage wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I've found a bug where, on CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED systems, adding the kthreadd
    >> task to a cgroup with cpu.rt_runtime_us = 0 (as some cgroup configuration
    >> scripts do, when they move all processes into a default cgroup), can result in
    >> deadlocks in the kernel.
    > IMHO its a bug to move kthreadd into a cgroup. Simply don't do that.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-01-05 16:05    [W:0.018 / U:60.272 seconds]