    From: Avi Kivity [mailto:avi@redhat.com]
    Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:02 AM
    To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
    Cc: Jan Beulich; Xiaowei Yang; Nick Piggin; Peter Zijlstra;
    fanhenglong@huawei.com; Kaushik Barde; Kenneth Lee; linqaingmin;
    wangzhenguo@huawei.com; Wu Fengguang; xen-devel@lists.xensource.com;
    linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; Marcelo Tosatti
    Subject: Re: One (possible) x86 get_user_pages bug

    On 01/27/2011 08:27 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    > And even just considering virtualization, having non-IPI-based tlb
    > shootdown is a measurable performance win, since a hypervisor can
    > optimise away a cross-VCPU shootdown if it knows no physical TLB
    > contains the target VCPU's entries. I can imagine the KVM folks could
    > get some benefit from that as well.

    It's nice to avoid the IPI (and waking up a cpu if it happens to be
    asleep) but I think the risk of deviating too much from the baremetal
    arch is too large, as demonstrated by this bug.

    (well, async page faults is a counterexample, I wonder if/when it will
    bite us)

      Last update: 2011-01-30 23:29    [W:0.023 / U:30.216 seconds]