    SubjectRe: USB HID plug and play, hardware developer frustration
    Ho Robin,

    On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 09:15:11AM +0100, Robin Theunis wrote:
    > Hi Devs,
    > Currently I am design a USB product, and in that process I also look
    > if almost every OS supports my device.
    > The device is just only a HID digitizer or touch tablet thingy. It
    > reports it self also as HID device. This is to have it
    > work PLUG and PLAY. But I gotten a cold shower when trying this on my
    > linux pcs. It doesn't work!
    > I did some investigation and found that the linux (kernel) only
    > support mouses and keyboard, all the other usage pages
    > that are included in the USB HID specs aren't implemented.
    > Is there a reason why they aren't implemented? especially the
    > digitizer thingies because of all the new tablets?

    Linux HID driver does have code to handle digitizers, please take a look
    at drivers/hid/hid-input.c::hidinput_configure_usage().

    > Is it difficult
    > to make a driver to support my device?

    It should not be. You might need to tweak usage mappings a bit by the
    way of writing small HID sub-driver. Look for examples in

    If you need additional help I'd recommend asking on

    > I have seen that there are a
    > lot of wacom drivers, I think doing all the same thing.

    Wacoms are quite different since they are not HID devices but handler by
    a completely separate driver.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-01-29 09:39    [W:0.020 / U:123.340 seconds]