    SubjectRe: xfs: very slow after mount, very slow at umount
    On 11-01-27 10:40 AM, Justin Piszcz wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Mark Lord wrote:
    ..
    >> Can you recommend a good set of mkfs.xfs parameters to suit the characteristics
    >> of this system? Eg. Only a few thousand active inodes, and nearly all files are
    >> in the 600MB -> 20GB size range. The usage pattern it must handle is up to
    >> six concurrent streaming writes at the same time as up to three streaming reads,
    >> with no significant delays permitted on the reads.
    >>
    >> That's the kind of workload that I find XFS handles nicely,
    >> and EXT4 has given me trouble with in the past.
    ..
    > I did a load of benchmarks a long time ago testing every mkfs.xfs option there
    > was, and I found that most of the time (if not all), the defaults were the best.
    ..

    I am concerned with fragmentation on the very special workload in this case.
    I'd really like the 20GB files, written over a 1-2 hour period, to consist
    of a very few very large extents, as much as possible.

    Rather than hundreds or thousands of "tiny" MB sized extents.
    I wonder what the best mkfs.xfs parameters might be to encourage that?

    Cheers

      Last update: 2011-01-27 17:07    [W:0.020 / U:31.156 seconds]