SubjectRe: flex_array related problems on selinux policy loading
On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 14:04 +0100, Steffen Klassert wrote:
> Another thing came to my mind. An atempt to do a zero size allocation
> always succeed on kmalloc. If we want to allocate our metadata even in
> this case, we should be aware that this allocation _can_ fail. So
> flex_array_alloc would not show the same behaviour as kmalloc on zero
> size allocations.

I think that's just fine.

You have to check for and handle those allocation failures anyway. Can
you think of places in the kernel where we have known-zero-sized
allocations that don't check kmalloc() returns?

> As most potential flex_array users convert their code
> from kmalloc, the behaviour of flex_array_alloc should be the same as of
> kmalloc. Showing a different behaviour here will produce pitfalls for
> potential new users. Also, to tell a user that we can not allocate memory
> for him, if the wants to allocate 0 byte (nothing) is quite odd. This
> user could easily continue processing, even if we can not allocate our
> metadata in this moment.

This doesn't have to be a one to one, direct, replacement for kmalloc().
As long as it's close enough not to confuse people or normally cause
problems, I think it's fine.
-- Dave

  Last update: 2011-01-26 17:19    [W:0.120 / U:0.092 seconds]