SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

* Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@redhat.com> wrote:

> Em Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:25:26PM +0100, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
> > * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Was this on a freshly installed machine? Or on a freshly updated one?
> > >
> > > Probably its the build-id collecting at the end of a session, on the
> > > first run you had a cold cache and it had to figure out which binaries
> > > to cache on ~/.debug, second time it was already cached so it was fast.
> >
> > Hm, it would be nice to not surprise users with an unlimited-timeout, up to half a
> > minute 'frozen' app. Can we possibly display a more finegrained progress indicator?
>
> Definetely, adding this to the todo list.
>
> In fact perf_session__process_events already has an ui_progress stuff,
> its just that it works only on report/TUI. Need to make it work with
> some /-|/- spinning text progress indicator after a "collecting
> build-ids:" string, something like that.

Yeah, something like that would awesome!

No need for it to be particularly pretty or complex - just _some_ minimal feedback
to the user gives us most of the bang for the buck already.

( And, of course, the best solution is to make it all run even faster. When it comes
to debuginfo data structures i can not prevent myself from thinking 'bloat!' ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-01-25 01:19    [W:0.062 / U:0.288 seconds]