SubjectRe: 'autogroup' sched code KILLING responsiveness
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 at 10:20, Michael Witten wrote:
> With that code in place, a resource-intensive activity (such as
> compiling the Linux kernel) causes my computer to become
> unresponsive for many seconds at a time; the entire screen
> does not refresh, typed keys are dropped or are handled very
> late, etc (even in Linux's plain virtual consoles).

Unfortunately, I'd like to add a "me too". 2.6.38-rc1 behaves fine, but
with CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP=y and doing I/O and CPU intensive work (git
prune/git repack on a Linux git tree), system load goes up to ~13 and
becomes unresponse for some time too. This even happens when I start the
jobs with nice -n10.

Without CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP enabled and doing the same work,
systemload goes up to 1 or maybe 2.

I'm on UP as well (PowerPC G4), disabling CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP helps
here too.

Thanks,
Christian.
--