SubjectRE: console problem?, close(2) hangs /sbin/init

I seems like it's any of the descriptors for the console, 0, 1, or 2 as
I try to isolate it.
Init closes all 3 when it begins and this is where the problem seems to
start.

At one point during some debug, I saw the kernel spit out a message
about a hung task which
showed tty_lock/mutex_lock_slowpath from a sys_open origin.

I had written it off in the beginning because I don't always see it, but
maybe this is also
a symptom I should be debugging.

> > To debug this, I use init=/bin/sh on the kernel command line, then
exec
> > init to start it. The same root file system works on another board
with
> > a different kernel.
>
> What other kernel version exactely?
>
> > I have also noticed that building init with
> > INITDEBUG on so that it forks for debugging makes it work fine. This
> > seems to indicate the device nodes are all fine to me.
> >
> > It seems related to PID 1 and the console device.
> >
> > Adding debug to the kernel in sys_close() shows it hanging in
> > filp_close() and I'm still digging more (maybe locking issue). The
> > console is a serial device with a newer driver which I suspected to
be
> > the issue, but can't see anything wrong.
> >
> > Any hints or similar problems seen would be much appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> --
> Jesper Juhl <jj@chaosbits.net> http://www.chaosbits.net/
> Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
> Plain text mails only, please.

  Last update: 2011-01-22 23:45    [W:0.175 / U:0.064 seconds]