SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] remove BT references from TI_ST
From
Gustavo,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Gustavo F. Padovan
<padovan@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> Hi Pavan,
>
> * Pavan Savoy <pavan_savoy@sify.com> [2011-01-19 23:56:29 +0530]:
>
>> Gustavo,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM,  <pavan_savoy@ti.com> wrote:
>> > From: Pavan Savoy <pavan_savoy@ti.com>
>> >
>> > Gustavo,
>> >
>> > Based on your comments, that the underlying shared transport driver
>> > for btwilink driver made use of the BT references to peek into the packets
>> > I have modified the TI_ST.
>>
>> Since there lacks a generic way to parse the packets coming in from the
>> UART into BT, FM or GPS, we have to look into the data to fragment assembled
>> data or assemble fragmented data.
>>
>> Please have a look, Please suggest whether something like this is required,
>> If not, please also suggest, if including BT headers is a problem ?
>
> Not really. The real problem is to break the abstraction between drivers
> layers (core and bluetooth drivers in this case)

ok, fine. Although I myself personally would prefer the older way ...
But its fine, I understand why references to bluetooth headers doesn't look good
at shared transport level...

>> Because I just include the BT headers and don't have a build
>> dependency as such on
>> BT/HCI and don't use any functions from hci_core in my shared transport driver.
>>
>> > For this reason, Now the above lying protocol drivers like BT, FM and GPS
>> > would send details about their packet types and header information which
>> > would assist shared transport driver to parse the data.
>
> Fair enough. This new approach is way better.

Ok, So there is no problem with BT driver doing this multiple calls to
st_register (or a single call
with info array of ACL, SCO, Event to st_register) ?
This would only hold true for BT.
For FM or GPS there would be only 1 set of info sent across from protocol
drivers to the shared transport drivers...

Also, during firmware download, is hard-coding of few parameters
pertaining to HCI-Event alright ?
because this needs to happen even if say BT doesn't plan to use the
shared transport and only FM
V4L2 is at works..

>> > Gustavo, please also notice the change in btwilink driver in and around,
>> > st_register and suggest if something like this is OK.
>> > btwilink can also be modified to send in all the packet specific data
>> > in one shot, if that is preferred.
>> >
>> > Please review and provide comments..
>> >
>> > Note:
>> > If this is alright, I will send out a modified patch with updated
>> > subject to lkml/Greg for linux-next.
>
> Ok. Go ahead. Then tell me when I'll be able to apply your patch. (I need to
> have the core modifications in my tree first). Or I just ack the patch and it
> finds its way to mainline through Greg's tree.

Yes, I will post a patch to lkml against linux-next to greg KH, and
based on that send a
separate patch to linux-bluetooth for the btwilink..