SubjectRe: [patch] fs: aio fix rcu lookup
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 05:31:53AM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> >> synchronize_rcu of course, not RCU (typo).
> >
> > I think that Nick is suggesting that call_rcu() be used instead.
> > Perhaps also very sparing use of synchronize_rcu_expedited(), which
> > is faster than synchronize_rcu(), but which which uses more CPU time.
>
> call_rcu() is the obvious alternative, yes.
>
> Basically, once we give in to synchronize_rcu() we're basically giving
> up. That's certainly a very good tradeoff for something like filesystem
> unregistration or module unload, it buys big simplifications in real
> fastpaths. But I just don't think it should be taken lightly.

Makes sense to me!

BTW, on your earlier usage classification:

> I think synchronize_rcu should firstly not be used unless it gives a good
> simplification, or speedup in fastpath.
>
> When that is satified, then it is a question of exactly what kind of slow
> path it should be used in. I don't think it should be used in process-
> synchronous code (eg syscalls) except for error cases, resource
> exhaustion, management syscalls (like module unload).

I don't have any feedback either way on your guidance to where
synchronize_rcu() should be used, as I believe that it depends a lot
on the details of usage, and would vary from one part of the kernel
to another, and possibly also over time.

But I am very glad to see that you have been thinking about it and
that you are putting forth some clear guidelines!

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2011-01-20 21:05    [W:0.088 / U:3.400 seconds]