SubjectRe: [patch] fs: aio fix rcu lookup
From
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@redhat.com> wrote:
> Nick Piggin <npiggin@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Upon further consideration, I don't think so.
>>>
>>> Given the options, I think adding the synchronize rcu to the io_destroy
>>> path is the best way forward.  You're already waiting for a bunch of
>>> queued I/O to finish, so there is no guarantee that you're going to
>>> finish that call quickly.
>>
>> I think synchronize_rcu() is not something to sprinkle around outside
>> very slow paths. It can be done without synchronize_rcu.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Do you mean to imply that
> io_destroy is not a very slow path?  Because it is.  I prefer a solution
> that doesn't re-architecht things in order to solve a theoretical issue
> that's never been observed.

Even something that happens once per process lifetime, like in fork/exit
is not necessarily suitable for RCU. I don't know exactly how all programs
use io_destroy -- of the small number that do, probably an even smaller
number would care here. But I don't think it simplifies things enough to
use synchronize_rcu for it.