SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.38-rc1
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> When I first started using git (2006?) I was recommended to use "-k"
> when doing a fetch or pull. I don't even remember why it was
> recommended. I still do it, but is it necessary?
>
> All the help says is:
>
>       -k, --keep
>                  Keep downloaded pack.

That's a different issue. That marks the resulting pack for "keeping",
which means that it won't participate in garbage collection.

IOW, it's a bad idea.

There _is_ a reason for it, namely that if your machine is really
slow, you may want to mark big packs for keeping, so that when you do
a gc it will be cheaper to do. In particular, the initial clone/fetch
may well be worth marking "keep". But even that is really only worth
it if you have such a slow machine (or the machine has too little
memory) that repacking is really a big pain (it's not like you need to
do gc very often - once a week would be overkill for most projects).

(There can be other reasons to mark packs as "keep" - namely to help
with http/rsync of the resulting archive if you have a huge amount of
history. In that case, it might be worthwhile keeping historical data
as a "keep" pack, so that rsync/http don't need to re-fetch it after a
GC or repack event.)

Linus