    SubjectRe: [announce] vfs-scale git tree update
    On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Alex Elder <> wrote:
    > FYI, when using this code, as merged by Linus, I hit the
    > BUG_ON() at the beginning of d_set_d_op() when it's called
    > by autofs4_dir_mkdir().  I managed to work around it by
    > just commenting out those BUG_ON() calls but it's something
    > that ought to get addressed properly.

    Yeah, removing the BUG_ON() isn't the right thing to do - it means
    that autofs4 is obviously setting the dentry ops twice for the same

    Possibly the thing could be relaxed to allow setting the _same_ d_op
    pointer, ie do something like

    if (dentry->d_op == op)

    at the top of that function. But looking at it, I don't think that
    fixes the autofs4 issue.

    The fact that autofs4 does "d_add()" before it sets the d_ops (or
    other dentry state, for that matter) looks a bit scary. To me that
    smells like it might get a dentry lookup hit before it's actually
    fully done.

    Does it make any difference if you move the various d_add() calls down
    to the end of the functions to when the "dentry" has really been

      Last update: 2011-01-11 17:55    [W:0.031 / U:14.660 seconds]