SubjectRe: Promoting Crusoe and Geode Processors to i686 Status
From
Hi,

Here goes...

-mtune tunes the binary for given architecture. This as opposed to
defining the baseline architecture, and thus available instruction
set, which -march does.

I believe that -mtune is predominantly used for instruction
scheduling. GCC uses it when it's reordering instructions to optimise
for specific micro-architecture over others.

With -mtune=i686, I am of the opinion that you instruct the compiler,
and give it the opportunity, to deliver a better ordering of the
instructions. In this case, better ordering for i686 than you would
get with -mtune=generic32.

I'm probably wrong somehow, it's probably marginal, and I'll concede
to your infinitely better knowledge any day! That's why I phrased it
as a question! :)

Cheers,

Nick