    SubjectRe: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...
    James Bottomley, on 09/06/2010 02:39 PM wrote:

    >>> No, we should not be comparing SCMs at all here but rather 2 competing
    >>> implementations based on quality of the code. You tried to bring SMC
    >>> angle in and I am saying that it is BS.
    >>
    >> Again, without getting into another pointless flamewar, I think the
    >> main point here is that a open source project using a distributed
    >> workflow (like git) has major advantages when it comes to working with a
    >> larger group of developers than a centralized model (like SVN) does.
    >>
    >> Because being a subsystem maintainer typically involves this type of
    >> complex workflow involving lots of different parties, git is a tool that
    >> was created (originally) expressely for a kernel workflow, and for those
    >> types of people it works really, really well.
    >
    > Oh, for god's sake children. Why does every LIO vs SCST discussion turn
    > into a pointless flameware over stuff no-one really cares about? If
    > none of you has anything substantive to say: don't say it.

    James, sorry, but you can't blame us. I keep asking for clear rules and
    don't receive much. So, there are speculations and pseudo-rules, which
    sometimes go to the absurd, as in this SVN vs Git case. No surprise
    then, that people have risen against this absurd (thanks a lot to them
    for support!).

    Frankly, in all the situation around Linux SCSI targets I for quite a
    long time feeling myself as a hero of a Kafka novel. Supposed to be
    goals are to have the best code doing its job the best, but on practice
    nobody cares about technical arguments and figuring out which subsystem
    is the best. Instead, everything lives it own incomprehensible life,
    where doesn't matter what you are doing, all already long ago decided
    behind your back and you will never be told why. All accurate statements
    not heard or, at best, called "handwaving", but dirty public opinion
    manipulations based on half- and less-than-half- truth have very warn
    welcome. This atmosphere is unhealthy, really.

    > Since patches into SCSI go over the mailing list for review and
    > integration (and running checkpatch.pl on ... this would be a hint), I
    > don't really give a toss how they're generated.

    Great to hear that! Thanks!

    Vlad

      Last update: 2010-09-06 23:51    [W:4.128 / U:0.104 seconds]