    SubjectRE: sata_sil24 memory fragmentation issues / VM allocation failures
    Date
    > I meant that "sata" is just the process name (I assume), it's not
    > really anything to do with the SATA driver. Normally SATA host
    > controller drivers don't really allocate memory at runtime so this
    > wouldn't really be an issue with them. Network controllers do in order
    > to handle received packets, though - it appears that for some reason
    > the memory allocation by the network driver is failing.

    You are correct - "sata" is the name of my SATA benchmarking app. I had the same thought, so I went to the network driver and changed it so that it only ever dealt with single pages - the motivation being that if it only dealt with single pages I would never have a page allocation failure unless I was completely out of memory. I made those changes and ended up seeing the same errors.

    Someone did mention to me that the VM keeps an emergency reserve around for emergency allocations, so maybe I am hitting that barrier?

    The thing that really gets me is that when I run the network alone or the disk alone there are no issues at all. It is only when I run them together that I see problems. I tried increasing how many packets I would handle in the polling function for the network, but that seemed to have zero effect.

    > I'm not really sure why that is - it seems like you do have memory
    > available. Hopefully some VM guru can pipe up with a suggestion.

    That is what I am hoping as well. Anyone have any thoughts?

      Last update: 2010-09-03 22:13    [W:6.830 / U:0.108 seconds]