    SubjectRe: asm-generic/unistd.h and glibc use of NR_ipc
    Date
    On Wednesday 29 September 2010, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:05:13AM -0400, Chris Metcalf wrote:
    > > Another point where I'd appreciate guidance from libc-alpha is the sysctl()
    > > and ustat() APIs. The corresponding system calls are missing from
    > > <asm-generic/unistd.h>, since they are deprecated and their functionality
    > > is better provided by other means (/proc/sys, fstat). So I've simply had
    > > them return -1 with errno == ENOSYS. Is there any reason to think they
    > > merit more substantial work? One could imagine baking in some horrible
    > > mapping of "integer names" into path components for a sysctl()
    > > implementation and reading /proc/sys to provide results, or walking all of
    > > the mount points looking for a matching device number to pass a name to
    > > fstat(), but I'm not sure it's worth the bloat to the library.
    >
    > fstat does not replace ustat. ustat is a statf-subsystem by dev_t and
    > is not replaced by anything. xfsprogs for example uses it to check if
    > a given dev_t is currently mounted. Please add it to the generic code.

    I didn't put it into the generic list because the man page claims

    "ustat() is deprecated and has only been provided for compatibility.
    All new programs should use statfs(2) instead."

    I suppose that means we should change the man page as well, right?

    Arnd

      Last update: 2010-09-29 13:57    [W:0.041 / U:30.416 seconds]