    SubjectRe: asm-generic/unistd.h and glibc use of NR_ipc
    On Tuesday 28 September 2010, Linas Vepstas wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out the status of glibc w.r.t the latest linux
    > unistd syscall interface, specifically, the status of the NR_ipc
    > syscall. Currently, I see the following:
    > -- Circa June 2009, Arnd Bergman introduced asm-generic/unistd.h
    > (into the linux kernel) to provide a generic interface to system
    > calls. It does *not* define NR_ipc, and instead provides
    > NR_msgsnd, msgrcv, msgget, msgctl etc. syscalls.
    > -- Current glibc (2.12.1, as well as the current eglibc) does
    > not appear to use these new calls anywhere. Instead, glibc
    > has generic (non-arch-specific) implementations of msgsnd
    > etc. that use the old NR_ipc interface (see, e.g.
    > sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/msgsnd.c, semget.c, shmdt.c, msgrcv.c,
    > shmget.c, etc.)
    > Is someone working on patches to get glibc to use the new
    > syscall interfaces (for IPC)? Am I missing something? Seems like
    > any arch wishing to use asm-generic/unistd.h and get glibc working
    > gets to break new ground, here ... right?

    Chris Metcalf is using the generic unistd.h file on the tile architecture
    and has a glibc port that should be easily portable to all future
    architectures. There are a few of them getting ready to be merged
    now (c6x, lm32, nios2, and some people have contacted me privately
    for architectures I cannot name).

    I expect that all of them will just use the same syscall ABI and glibc

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-09-28 10:43    [W:0.020 / U:10.160 seconds]