SubjectRe: asm-generic/unistd.h and glibc use of NR_ipc
Hi Chris,

On 28 September 2010 08:05, Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@tilera.com> wrote:
>  (Adding libc-ports to the cc list.)
>
> On 9/28/2010 4:40 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> Chris Metcalf is using the generic unistd.h file on the tile architecture
>> and has a glibc port that should be easily portable to all future
>> architectures. There are a few of them getting ready to be merged
>> now (c6x, lm32, nios2, and some people have contacted me privately
>> for architectures I cannot name).
>>
>> I expect that all of them will just use the same syscall ABI and glibc
>> port.
>
> I'm happy to provide some previews of the work I'm doing to interested parties.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'd love to "preview" the
code; it'll take a good long while to get everything built and tested,
so feeback might take a while ...

Any chance that these could be split out as a distinct set of patches,
taken apart from the tilera arch port, and submitted upstream
independently (to glibc and/or ports collection)? I'll help w/ patch
preparation...

> I have a few patches for the platform-independent glibc code, mostly for
> things which are exposed in our platform but not in others.  E.g.
> __readlink() in include/unistd.h returns the wrong type (int not ssize_t),
> and some of the standard Linux implementations of things like fxstat64.c
> need to be completely wrapped with "#ifndef XSTAT_IS_XSTAT64" so that
> fxstat.c can provide the alias, since all the stat structures are the same
> everywhere.  I will submit some separate patches to libc-alpha for this.

Yes, I presume that arch-indep fixes can/should be submitted even
before a port is ready. I do notice that the glibc maintainers can be
somewhat reticent of accepting these, for fear of accidentally breaking
working code.

-- Linas