    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.35.6
    On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:54:12AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:32:08PM -0400, tmhikaru@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I'm not exactly sure what's going on here and I'd like some help
    > > figuring out what is. For some inexplicable reason, ever since I started
    > > using the 2.6.35.x series with the 2.6.35.3 release, my loadaverages tend to
    > > bounce anywhere from as low to .2 to 1.5 - constantly, while the machine
    > > seems idle.
    >
    > But .34 doesn't show this issue?
    >
    > If so, can you run 'git bisect' between the .34 and .35 releases to find
    > out where the problem comes in?

    .34 does not, that is correct.

    > > Consistently, there are no programs in D state in ps aux output,
    > > no cpu hogging programs running in top, nothing I can see that should
    > > explain the bizzarely high load average.
    >
    > Loadaverage can be affected by a driver doing an uninteruptable sleep.
    > This doesn't actually cause a load on the system, but it does affect the
    > way that number is calcuated. Perhaps that's the problem here.

    That would explain a lot.
    > > If you have any tips or recommendations on what I should use to
    > > investigate this further, please let me know. Once I have ensured to my own
    > > satisfaction that I'm not doing something bizzare that's screwing up my
    > > machine, I'll make a detailed bug report and start on figuring out how to
    > > use git bisect.
    >
    > 'man git-bisect' will help with this :)
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h

    Thank you for the tips. If I don't find anything obvious I'll bisect it very
    soon, but I'll likely attempt to track backwards from .3 myself since I've
    backtracked through patches before. Once I have narrowed it down to a patch
    release it'll likely take less time to bisect. (eg, if I know it happened
    between 2.6.35-rc1 and rc2 I'd only have to bisect the patches between those
    versions, whereas right now I only know positively between 2.6.34 and
    2.6.35.3 something went wrong.)

    Tim McGrath

      Last update: 2010-09-27 21:11    [W:0.023 / U:28.804 seconds]