Subjectre: PROBLEM: snd_intel_hda audio regression in 2.6.36-rc5
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Takashi Iwai <> wrote:
> At Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:32:54 +0300,
> Aki Parviainen wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed an audio related problem in 2.6.36-rc5: when using 2.6.36-rc5 kernel
> > I don't get normal two channel PCM audio at all on my machine, however multichannel audio
> > works just fine.
> What does this mean exactly?  Could you show your test method?

Thank you for your answer and sorry for being unclear! This means that
whenever I try to output regular stereo audio from files or DVB for
example I cannot hear anything at all with 2.6.36-rcX kernels. Before
2.6.36-rcX kernels normal stereo audio works just fine. However with
2.6.36-rcX kernels and all the previous kernels digital preencoded
(like Dolby Digital, DTS) audio works just fine. I am using Kaffeine
1.0 and VLC 1.1 (both from Debian unstable) to play audio, both
programs work exactly the same. My test method is basicly this:
-boot with 2.6.36-rc4 or 2.6.36-rc5
-open kaffeine or vlc
-start playing mp3 file -> nothing comes to the amplifier
-start playing mkv file with 5.1 track -> correct audio comes to the amplifier

> > I'm using snd_hda_intel and I've configured ALSA to send all
> > audio to spdif output. With earlier kernel versions this kind of setup works
> > just fine but with 2.6.36-rc5 only audio that works is digital preencoded audio (5.1 dolby digital from
> > dvd:s / mkv:s) works. There's no errors or anything but nothing comes to my
> > amplifier. I've also tested 2.6.36-rc4 and it has the same problem, in the past I've never had any audio problems with mainline kernels.
> Which kernel did it work? and every earlier kernel tested. Unfortunately the first
2.6.36 based kernel that I tested was 2.6.36-rc4 and there audio
doesn't work anymore.

> > Booting with earlier kernel solves the problem immediately.
> Run (with --no-upload option) on both working and
> non-working kernel, and attach two files for compare.  This will give
> a more clear sight what is different between them.

Here's the alsa-info files attached from (works) and
2.6.36-rc5 (doesn't work).

[unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]