SubjectRe: [BUG] object: is not initialized, yet kobject_put() is being called
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> > > Seconded. Works good. Thanks for your support Jiri.
>
> > Thirded! This fixes the warning here.
>
> Unfortunately, I have to take up this problem a second time.
> I considered the issue fixed, and in fact it was using Jiris patch.
>
> However, the same problem came back while testing 2.6.36-rc4 and the
> following -git's. /var/log/warn shows the same warning as mentioned in
> the first mail in this thread:
>
> Sep 20 08:18:42 liesel apcupsd[5436]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 609
> Cannot find UPS device -- For a link to detailed USB trouble
> shooting information, please see <http://www.apcupsd.com/support.html>.
> Sep 20 08:18:42 liesel apcupsd[5436]: apcupsd error shutdown completed
>
> No additional oops this time, only the warning, and my UPS is no longer
> working.
>
> Jiris patch obviously didn't made it into 2.6.36-rc4, and it doesn't
> apply nay longer either.

This seems like a completely different problem -- apcupsd is not finding
the UPS, yes, but kernel doesn't WARN/BUG here, so it seems like similar
symptoms, but very likely a different cause.

Could you perhaps strace apcupsd to see what it is doing before it fails?

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans