    SubjectRe: Regression, bisected: reference leak with IPSec since ~2.6.31
    On 2010-09-20 20:20 +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
    > If you change your program to send small frames (so they are not
    > fragmented), is the problem still present ?

    I changed MAX_DGRAM_SIZE in the test program to 1000 (mtu on the
    interface is 1500). The short answer is that the references are
    not leaked, and things seem to get cleaned up. So the rest of this
    mail probably describes a separate issue.

    The long answer, however, is interesting: With latest Linus' git, the
    references are cleaned up much later than I would expect. After running
    the test program and flushing the SAD/SPD, the reference count is still
    1. If I repeat the test immediately, the reference count will increase
    further. I can easily raise the reference count to, say, 100. Now, if
    I wait a while (10 minutes or so), the reference count will still be
    100. However, when I run the setkey script after this delay, the
    reference count drops immediately to 1. If I then flush the SAD/SPD, it
    drops to 0.

    This behaviour is new: newer than the reported leak. For example, with
    2.6.34, everything works perfectly with MAX_DGRAM_SIZE set to 1000 (the
    SAs are destroyed immediately when the SAD/SPD are flushed), but the
    leak occurs with MAX_DGRAM_SIZE set to 10000.

    Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-09-20 21:55    [W:0.024 / U:4.796 seconds]