SubjectRe: [KVM timekeeping 10/35] Fix deep C-state TSC desynchronization
On 09/17/2010 12:31 PM, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 12:09 PM, Zachary Amsden wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes. As soon as I hack tsc_unstable to 1, things go wrong. When I hack
>>> it back to 0, guest that wants kvm-clock boots again and seem to run
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> This is issue #2, I guess. Issue #2 remains that the TSC is marked
>>> unstable. I have the feeling that this is bogus, maybe due to lacking
>>> suspend/resume awareness? The tsc clocksource does
>>>
>>> clocksource_tsc.cycle_last = 0;
>>>
>>> on resume...
>>>
>>> Jan
>>>

>> I have now reproduced this exactly. Shouldn't be long before I have
>> a solution.

Wow, bug was subtle. Here's what happens:

kvmclock enabled
unstable TSC compensation erases TSC gain; requests kvmclock update
we get preempted after writing new kvmclock value, so HV is never entered
unstable TSC compensation erases TSC gain again; requests kvmclock update
kvmclock overflow compensation underflows because vcpu->last_guest_tsc
kvmclock advances randomly
HV entered
HV exit sets last_guest_tsc, making bug invisible

The solution is to set vcpu->last_guest_tsc always when updating
kvmclock. Note the bug can occur independently of the unstable TSC
compensation, which makes it more likely only because it requests more
kvmclock updates. The fundamental issue is the lack of complete state
update caused by preemption before HV is entered, but after kvmclock is
written.

I have a patch series which fixes this now, but it has some debug gunk
in it I need to get rid of.

I'll try to send it in the next few hours, as I'm on vacation (parents
visiting) next week.

  Last update: 2010-09-19 01:57    [W:0.045 / U:0.068 seconds]