    SubjectRe: [RFC 5/6] x86, NMI, Add support to notify hardware error with unknown NMI
    On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 08:07:07PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > Honestly, I don't think you need much screen real estate. It would be
    > > nice when an unknown NMI comes in, if the kernel just pokes around
    > > the hardware registers and display a summary of what it found. For
    > > example,
    > >
    > > The following devices had error bits set in the status registers:
    > > PCI device x:y.z - STATUS_BIT1 | STATUS_BIT2
    > > HW device xyz - STATUS_BIT3
    >
    > You mean data from the generic PCI config space?

    Yes. I normally just look at the Status register. With PCI-e I'll look at
    the other status registers in the capabilities field too.

    > I don't think i would feel comfortable with arbitrary driver callbacks
    > (the risk of the driver breaking the panic would be high)

    Neither would I.

    > But if it's generic if not on the screen it should
    > be at least in the error serialization data and logged after boot.

    I guess I don't know what that is, 'error serialization data'. Is there
    somewhere I can read more about it?

    > At least on PCI-E it may be enough to simply dump all recent AER
    > data.

    This assumes AER is supported on the bridge? Which for newer chips is
    probably true, but I wasn't sure about older ones.

    How would I dump AER data from within the kernel?

    > > But I guess if we accept the fact that an unknown NMI will panic the
    > > box, then we can probably be a little more liberal in breaking
    > > spinlocks and poking around the hardware to display some userful info.
    >
    > You have to be a bit careful with that, you may caused nested errors
    > (e.g. machine checks or more NMIs). I suppose this could be checked for
    > though.

    Of course.

    Cheers,
    Don

      Last update: 2010-09-13 20:27    [W:0.027 / U:30.600 seconds]