SubjectRe: cxacru: USB ethernet port of CX82310-based ADSL routers?
On 31/08/10 23:48, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 September 2010 00:15:49 Simon Arlott wrote:
>> On 31/08/10 22:13, Ondrej Zary wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I have an ADSL router based on Conexant CX82310 chip. This chip provides
>> > both ethernet and USB interfaces. The ethernet interface is often
>> > internally connected to a 5-port switch (in my case too). The USB
>> > interface works as an ethernet card in Windows (using proprietary
>> > driver). In Linux, the cxacru driver binds to the device but does not
>> > work (no wonder - it's doing firmware things in an attempt to bring an
>> > ADSL modem up).

If you get the firmware loaded, it may implement an existing protocol
for ethernet over USB like all the ATM modems linux supports do.

>> > I wonder how to implement support for this device in cxacru driver. Or
>> > would be a separate driver better?
>>
>> Support for this shouldn't really go into the cxacru driver, as that's
>> for an USB ATM interface (it depends on usbatm for actual ATM traffic)
>> not ethernet.
>
> That's what I was afraid of...

The firmware loading process is likely to be similar if not identical,
but these devices usually don't respond to the status command after

>> Unfortunately it doesn't look like a trivial task to auto-detect which
>> driver should handle it... your device itself claims to be an "ADSL
>> Modem".
>
> In fact, it does not. The idProduct text is from usb.ids file (which is often
> incorrect). The device says that it's "USB NET CARD" (iProduct). But I don't
> know if Linux can match drivers by iProduct string.

The probe function could ignore it allowing another driver to take it.

> Maybe ignoring the device if class is 255 and iProduct is "USB NET CARD" (or
> does not contain "MODEM"?).
>
> All these devices seem to use bDeviceClass 0 and iProduct "ADSL USB MODEM".

However, there may be others that don't. I only have three variants of
a generic device rebranded... although they don't appear to have a way
of replacing that string. Ignoring "USB NET CARD" would be reasonable.

--
Simon Arlott

  Last update: 2010-09-01 08:43    [W:0.048 / U:0.900 seconds]