SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
From
2010/8/8 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> On Saturday, August 07, 2010, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:

>> > How do you propose to track how long a driver has blocked suspend when
>> > you have an unblock call that takes no arguments.
>> >

>> Also, I did not not see a response to my question about why you don't
>> want to pass a handle.
>
> It doesn't really matter what I personally want.  In fact, I'm not totally
> opposed to that idea, although there are disadvantages (eg. a "handle"
> would really mean a pointer to an object with certain life cycle that needs to
> be managed by the caller and it's not that clear to me who should manage the
> objects that the PCI wakeup code would pass to pm_wakeup_event(), for one

Wouldn't a single global handle work for the way you are handling pci
wakeup events? It looked like you just reset a global timeout every
time a pci wakeup event occurs.

> example).  I sent a pull request for your original patchset to Linus after all. :-)
>
> I said I didn't think "it would fly", meaning that I was afraid the other kernel
> developers wouldn't like that change.
>
> The reason why I think so is that you'd like to add a whole new infrastructure
> whose only purpose would be debugging that would only be useful to systems
> using opportunistic suspend.  That, however, is only Android right now and it
> cannot use the mainline kernel for other reasons, so basically we would add
> infrastructure that's useful to no one.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The debugging is useful for anyone
using the api, not just Android, and a handle is also needed to mix
timeouts and pm_relax. The handle can be the device, but some drivers
need several handles per device.

--
Arve Hjønnevåg