    SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
    On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:36:42PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:14:32AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

    > > services in themselves (like system monitoring). It's really just
    > > semantics to treat them differently to something like a cellular modem -
    > > at a high level they're both just independant processors ticking away
    > > without the application processor.

    > I agree that a smartphone's cellular modem can be argued to be very
    > similar to wake-on-LAN. The smartphone applications that seem to me
    > to be very different from wake-on-LAN are things like audio playback,
    > where the system is providing service to the user during the time that
    > it is suspended.

    The cellular modem case includes not just hanging off the network but
    also being on a call - the voice path for a phone call doesn't need the
    CPU to do anything. It's probably best to view a phone as a bunch of
    interconnected systems that happen to sit in the same box, and there's
    various design decisions that can be taken about which systems own the
    shared components.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-08-07 15:09    [W:0.018 / U:41.472 seconds]