    SubjectRe: Hello, newbie wants help.
    From
    2010/8/6 dingshaoheng <dshbusiness@gmail.com>:
    > Hello, all.
    >
    > I have used linux(ubuntu) for more than one year.
    > For long time, I wish I can hack in the kernel.
    > But I still can't fix a bug or write a driver, except compile the kernel.
    > I really need some suggestion.
    > Now, I'm reading some book--
    >        Linux kernel development, second edition, by Robert Love.
    >        Linux device driver, third edition, by Jonatban Corbet etc.
    >
    > But I find these books is so difficult to understand.
    > The author always gave out new things that he has never explained.
    > I wish if there is some way to learn the kernel step by step, or less hard.
    > Could anyone give me some advice?
    >
    > PS: I have tried to read the source code, but they are even more difficult.
    > I wish this email has been posted to the right place(not disturb you).
    > I know you are busy coding. If this email is not appropriately, please do't
    > be angry, just ignore it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --

    Do not worry I think that everyone should had been new in linux ones.
    If i understand you want to learn how fix a bug and wtitea driver, ok
    look these are some links that i found interesting last mount when i
    started to learn linux.

    For the newwbies just likeus there is a web page

    http://kernelnewbies.org

    there you could check the all that you need

    Take a look to

    The Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide

    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/index.html

    and try to make your own hello word in Kernel Module
    try to make a char driver and to make a procfs program
    than and your procfs module to your OS and used it latter

    this is a really good web page in order to see how to use you char
    driver to turn on a led in your parallel port for example ( this is a
    really good device driver example ) : )

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/drivers_linux?page=0%2C0

    Then if you want to test your sistem make the TODO from kernel
    janitors it is a really good beginning

    it will take you a long time to do all the steps , but it will help
    you to test your kernel with the Linux Test Project for example or
    running a random config when you compile your kernel .

    http://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/wiki/TODO

    To understand linux check this

    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

    and learn the more that you can about C you will need it

    a really good book is

    C Programming Language (2nd Edition) from Kernigan and Ritchie

    I hope it helps you It helps me

    Sincerely yours

    Victor Rodriguez