SubjectRe: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes
On 08/05/2010 04:33 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Michal Marek<mmarek@suse.cz> wrote:
>>
>> this is the kconfig part of kbuild. We have four new *config targets:
>> * oldnoconfig: set all new options to 'n'
>> * listnewconfig: list all unset config options
>> * alldefconfig: set all options to their defaults specified in Kconfig
>> files
>> * savedefconfig: write a defconfig file with only the differences from
>> an alldefconfig (aka minimal defconfig)
>>
>> Kconfig also warns when a select statement selects a symbol with unmet
>> dependencies (which typically results in a broken config). Li Zefan did
>> quite some usability fixes to the visual config interfaces.
>
> Hmm. This seems to make "make oldconfig" a _lot_ more verbose than it
> used to be. In a very annoying way.
>
> I'm used to this (v2.6.35 "make oldconfig" with no changes):
>
> [torvalds@i5 linux]$ make oldconfig
> scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> [torvalds@i5 linux]$
>
> but now it prints _everything_. The old "oldconfig" only printed
> things out when there was something to be asked about.
>
> This is a regression.
>
> Linus

With what I submitted I did not test make oldconfig, only make
menuconfig due to gcc 4.6.0 giving me a slew of warnings.
From looking at make oldconfig I do see a more detailed explanation of
what each option is(last I remember it was more of a line with y/n)but
then again you could be seeing something completly different.

keep in mind not sure if this is with kconfig merge or not due to me
seeing make oldconfig react the same way with 2.6.35-rc6-00191-ga2dccdb
and the current(pulled a few minuetes ago)
but look kind of differently with 2.6.34(but could be wrong due to not
using make oldconfig that much).
Now if this is with what I submitted then I'll have a look at it and see
if I can get this fixed.

Justin P. Mattock

  Last update: 2010-08-06 03:29    [W:0.083 / U:1.760 seconds]