SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, kevin granade wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> IIRC, this was a major point of their (Android's) power management
>>> policy.  User input of any kind would reset the "display active"
>>> timeout, which is the primary thing keeping random untrusted
>>> user-facing programs from being suspended while in use.  They seemed
>>> to consider this to be a special case in their policy, but from the
>>> kernel's point of view it is just another suspend blocker being held.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure this is the best use case to look at though, because
>>> since it is user-facing, the timeout durations are on a different
>>> scale than the ones they are really worried about.  I think another
>>> category of use case that they are worried about is:
>>>
>>> (in suspend) -> wakeup due to network -> process network activity -> suspend
>>>
>>> or an example that has been mentioned previously:
>>>
>>> (in suspend) -> wakeup due to alarm for audio processing -> process
>>> batch of audio -> suspend
>>>
>>> In both of these cases, the display may never power on (phone might
>>> beep to indicate txt message or email, audio just keeps playing), so
>>> the magnitude of the "timeout" for suspending again should be very
>>> small.  Specifically, they don't want there to be a timeout at all, so
>>> as little time as possible time is spent out of suspend in addition to
>>> the time required to handle the event that caused wakeup.
>>
>> It would be good to get some sort of range for the "timeout".  In the
>> audio-output case, my understanding that the spacing between bursts of
>> audio-processing activity is measured in some hundreds of milliseconds,
>> in which case one would want the delays until suspend to be on the
>> millisecond scale.  But does Android really suspend between bursts of
>> audio processing while playing music?  Very cool if so!  ;-)
>
> Oops, yea that's actually a really bad example, that's probably
> something that would be handled by low-power states. I think the
> incoming text message example is a good one though. There seemed to
> be a focus on user-interaction scale time scales, and I wanted to
> point out that there are also very short duration time scales to
> consider as well.

good point, but I do think the short time scales are less common than
people think.

I'd love to get good examples of them

on my iphone when a text message arrives the phone displays an alert for
user-interaction times (it even lights the display to show who the message
is from, and optionally a preview of the message)

so what would wake a phone up from suspend where the phone should go back
to sleep in under a second?

David Lang

  Last update: 2010-08-06 00:13    [W:0.262 / U:1.164 seconds]