SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 04, 2010, david@lang.hm wrote:

> It would be much better if you gave specific examples. Because, for instance,
> I'm not sure what platforms you have in mind.

I gave examples in other messages that included dimming/turning off the
screen and spinning down the disk among others.

the definition of 'transparently' was then clarified to not mean
transparent to the user, but transparent (except for possibly delays) to
the applications (they may have to wait for the disk to spin up for
example)

>>> It must be transparent to the rest of the system.

>>> I'm am not talking about minor latencies. If you have a platform that
>>> for instance turns off you screen dma when entering idle, it is broken
>>> whether is running Android or not. If it does the same in suspend it
>>> is not a problem.
>>
>> This isn't sounding quite right to me. I've seen too many discussions
>> about things like idle and USB devices/hubs/drives/etc getting powered
>> down for power savings modes to make me readily accept that everything
>> must be as transparent as you imply. Just the case of drive spin-down
>> shows that it's possible to do things that would be considered
>> destructive, but you have to have a flag and wake-up path to recover
>> within a 'reasonable' amount of time (I guess that this could be
>> 'transparent' if that only implies that things must work eventually, which
>> isn't what I read into the statement)
>
> Well, consider a single character device and suppose there is an application
> talking to the driver using read(), write(), ioctl(), whatever. Now suppose
> you want to put the device into a low-power state such that the device can't
> do the I/O in that state. You need to ensure that the app won't be able to
> reach the device while in that state and you can (1) arrange things so that
> the device is put into the full-power state whenever the app tries to access
> it and (2) "freeze" the app so that it won't try to access the device being in
> the low-power state.
>
> Generally speaking (1) is what idle (and any other form of runtime PM) does and
> (2) is what suspend does with respect to the whole system.

makes sense

> In the suspend case, when you have frozen all applications, you can
> sequentially disable all interrupts except for a few selected ("wakeup") ones
> in a safe way. By disabling them, you ensure that the CPU will only be
> "revived" by a limited set of events and that allows the system to stay
> low-power for extended time intervals.

the benifit of this will depend on what wakeups you are able to avoid by
putting the hardware to sleep. Depending on the hardware, this may be not
matter that much.

In addition, there are input devices like a touchscreen that could be
disabled even short of a full suspend, as long as there is some way to get
them reactivated.

> To achieve the same result in the "idle" case, you'll need to have a mechanism
> to disable interrupts (except for the "wakeup" ones) avoiding synchronization
> problems (eg. situations in which task A, blocked on a "suspended" device
> access, holds a mutex waited for by task B that needs to run so that we can
> "suspend" another device). That, however, is a difficult problem.

I would say that the difficulty of the problem depends on the hardware and
how much userspace interaction is needed. If the kernel can disable the
hardware in the driver (so that it can wake it up again when accessed by
an application) it would seem that this isn't a problem.

David Lang

  Last update: 2010-08-04 20:55    [W:0.576 / U:0.052 seconds]