    From: Stephen Rothwell <>
    Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:57:38 +1000

    > Can we have a fix for these please? They make too much noise in the builds.

    See below:

    Subject: Re: [GIT] Networking
    From: David Miller <>
    Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:41:15 -0700 (PDT)

    From: Linus Torvalds <>
    Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:06:47 -0700

    > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM, David Miller <> wrote:
    >> Another release, another merge window, another set of networking
    >> changes to merge :-)
    > Ok, merged. But you should double-check my merge resolution fixes,

    Will do, thanks a lot.

    > I'm also a bit unhappy about how it introduces new warnings in very
    > subtle ways.

    Joe Perches presented patches to fix this (arguably always broken)
    issue to James Bottomley and co. several weeks ago:

    And it's been, in typical SCSI subsystem maintainer fastion, in
    "stall" mode ever since.

    In fact, when we noticed this problem, Joe Perches said he would only
    post the patches to the SCSI folks if I would "deal" with James
    Bottomley. If it's to that point, well... I don't know what to say.

    I know the warning is introduced by changes in my tree, but I
    figured with weeks until the merge window James would be OK with
    Joe's fix for the warning by then. Perhaps I was wrong.

    If under my control, I would never _ever_ let something like that
    linger for weeks upon weeks in my tree. 24 hour resolution, tops.

    And the same goes for Joe Perches, which is why I trust him and merged
    his changes which triggered the warning in the first place. I can
    always count on him to do something immediately to try and fix
    fallout, or in the worst case say "ok we can't resolve this just
    revert my original change".

    So I'm sorry, I'll never create a situation again where the SCSI
    maintainer is in the critical path for getting a warning fixed. :-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-08-31 06:45    [W:0.033 / U:4.696 seconds]