SubjectRe: IPC between application and xserver is causing extra context switches
* Pauli Nieminen (ext-pauli.nieminen@nokia.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While running rendering benchmark we noticed huge context switch numbers that
> were a lot larger than excepted. Numbers were showing 20-30 context switches
> per frame. Theoretical minimum context switches is less than 10.
>
> Problem was traced using FineToothComp (FTC) [1]. Tracing down to per
> instruction view what happens in system.
>
> Conext switches are relatively easy to track down from the trace
> visualization so it was easy to find out what was causing the extra context
> switches.
>
> * What application is doing when calling xserver?
>
> Application opens unix socket connection to xserver. Communication is based
> on simple message protocol. Application does following call sequence when
> communicating to xserver.
>
> writev(...) // Send message(s) to xserver
>
> poll(...) // wait for response(s) from xserver
>
> read(...) // read the response(s)
>
> * Where does extra context switches happen?
>
> Application developer would except that only poll call would trigger context
> switch. But in worst case every system call is triggering context switch.
>
> - writev()
>
> writev does implicit context switch in kernel after writing to socket. This
> isn't perfect behavior for asynchronous IPC because application might want to
> queue up more messages before context switch.
>
> This doesn't affect X communication because there is buffering implementation
> in xcb for asynchronous operations. But it might be good to fix for some
> other implementations that don't have buffering.
>
> - poll()
>
> But scheduling in writev backfires when poll is called. There is some X calls
> (DRI2GetBuffers etc) that takes very long to handle. While xserver is handlnig
> the request kernel decides to schedule client before there is response.
>
> Now client executes very few instructions before hitting the poll. Now poll
> blocks because there is no response from xserver.

Well, actually, I just traced it with LTTng, and the situation is a little
weird. Xorg does a read() system call on the unix socket, which triggers a
wakeup that targets xwininfo which is waiting on a poll(). The poll wakes up for
a very short amount of time, returns back to the kernel, and schedules xorg
again to complete the read() (it actually returns 8 bytes, even weirder). Then
later xwininfo will be woken up by the writev system call (which is a little
more expected).

I'm attaching a snapshot showing the event list pinpointing the exact execution
sequence. Any thoughts ?

> - read()
>
> Application hits read soon after returning from poll. xserver has gone to
> sleep in select call waiting for multiple file descriptor.
>
> When read call is returning from kernel unlocking the socket triggers xserver
> scheduling. This schedulnig never returns from kernel space but it iterates
> over all file descriptors that xserver is waiting for.
>
> * Test case
>
> There is relatively simple test case attached that can check if kernel is
> scheduling too many times. Test case is xwininfo tool modified not to output
> anything. Running it with -root and -tree parameters is generating lots of
> request for xserver.
>
> Compilation instructions are in xwininfo.c.
>
> test.sh can be used to automatically test if there was too many extra
> scheduling. In perfect case scheduling should be only twice the number of
> request.
>
> * Where the bug has been seen?
>
> I first saw this while doing development on arm. I have also tested a few x86
> kernels to see if problem can be reproduced there too. Problem was
> reproducing in most of configurations that I tested.
>
> broken:
> 2.6.32 (ARM)
> 2.6.28 (x86 Debian Lenny)
> 2.6.35-rc4 (x86 vanila, Ubuntu Karmic user space)
>
> But for my surprise I could find single working configuration that was my
> work desktop using Ubuntu kernel.
>
> correctly working:
> 2.6.31 (x86 Ubuntu Karmic)

I'd be careful about bissection between a Ubuntu kernel and mainline. Ubuntu can
add many tweaks to their kernels. An example of a tweak that makes the test
"pass" is:

echo NO_WAKEUP_PREEMPT > /debugfs/sched_features
(with CONFIG_DEBUG_SCHED=y)

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

  Last update: 2010-09-01 05:01    [W:0.202 / U:0.044 seconds]