SubjectRe: cxacru: USB ethernet port of CX82310-based ADSL routers?
On 31/08/10 22:13, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an ADSL router based on Conexant CX82310 chip. This chip provides both
> ethernet and USB interfaces. The ethernet interface is often internally
> connected to a 5-port switch (in my case too). The USB interface works as an
> ethernet card in Windows (using proprietary driver). In Linux, the cxacru
> driver binds to the device but does not work (no wonder - it's doing firmware
> things in an attempt to bring an ADSL modem up).
>
> I captured a log from Windows (device connect, DHCP and disconnect):
> http://www.rainbow-software.org/linux_files/cx82310/cx-run-dhcp.log
>
> The commands seem to match the enums in cxacru
> driver (and go to endpoint 1):
> 0x84, 0x85, 0x90, 0x91, 0x92, 0x99 (unknown)
> Data goes to/from endpoint 2 as ethernet frames (with something at the
> beginning).
>
> I wonder how to implement support for this device in cxacru driver. Or would
> be a separate driver better?

Support for this shouldn't really go into the cxacru driver, as that's
for an USB ATM interface (it depends on usbatm for actual ATM traffic)
not ethernet.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a trivial task to auto-detect which
driver should handle it... your device itself claims to be an "ADSL
Modem".

You'd need to know what type of device it was before loading the
firmware, which would further complicate auto-detection as some custom
firmware may be required that attempts to probe the device and then
accepts new firmware. I have no way of testing this on all the types of
existing hardware: http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/modems.shtml

Does it happen to work as an ADSL modem too if you load the right
firmware?
d275d0fef591e2233654ea591eccb0d15211eb82 cxacru-fw.bin 624192

There should be some flash memory you could try reading, however it
may not contain anything useful.

See "commands for interaction with the flash memory" in cxacru.c and
http://simon.arlott.org/pub/cxacru/raw.c

One possibility is to rewrite the flash to indicate that it's an
ethernet class device, or just handle class 255 differently. It would
be interesting to know what the windows driver does when the device
class is changed. (I don't know which bytes in the flash memory
correspond to that value as mine are all 00, hopefully if you can read
yours you'll have an FF in that area.)

Ignoring 0572:cb01 class 255 in the cxacru probe function would be an
option... but I don't know how many existing users that would affect.

> lsusb output:
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0572:cb01 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. GeekADSL Promax Q31 ADSL Modem
> Device Descriptor:
> bLength 18
> bDescriptorType 1
> bcdUSB 1.10
> bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
> bDeviceSubClass 0
> bDeviceProtocol 0
> bMaxPacketSize0 64
> idVendor 0x0572 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
> idProduct 0xcb01 GeekADSL Promax Q31 ADSL Modem
> bcdDevice 1.00
> iManufacturer 1 -
> iProduct 2 USB NET CARD
> iSerial 3 00000060
> bNumConfigurations 1
> Configuration Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 2
> wTotalLength 67
> bNumInterfaces 1
> bConfigurationValue 1
> iConfiguration 0
> bmAttributes 0xc0
> Self Powered
> MaxPower 80mA
> Interface Descriptor:
> bLength 9
> bDescriptorType 4
> bInterfaceNumber 0
> bAlternateSetting 0
> bNumEndpoints 7
> bInterfaceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
> [...]

The three versions of the hardware I have are below:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0572:cafe Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. AccessRunner ADSL Modem
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0572 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
idProduct 0xcafe AccessRunner ADSL Modem
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1 -
iProduct 2 ADSL USB MODEM
iSerial 3 28217989
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 67
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 500mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 7
bInterfaceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
[...]
bInterval 200
Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0eb0:3457
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0eb0
idProduct 0x3457
bcdDevice 90.06
iManufacturer 1 -
iProduct 2 ADSL USB MODEM
iSerial 3 08298061
[...]

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0572:cb00 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. E-Tech ADSL Modem v2
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0572 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
idProduct 0xcb00 E-Tech ADSL Modem v2
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1 -
iProduct 2 ADSL USB MODEM
iSerial 3 08298061
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 67
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)

--
Simon Arlott

  Last update: 2010-09-01 00:19    [W:0.055 / U:0.332 seconds]