SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
From
2010/8/2  <david@lang.hm>:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Arve Hj?nnev?g wrote:

>>> isn't this a matter of making the suspend decision look at what timers
>>> have
>>> been set to expire in the near future and/or tweaking how long the system
>>> needs to be idle before going to sleep?
>>>

>> You are describing low power idle modes, not suspend. Most timers stop
>> in suspend, so a timer set 10 seconds from now when entering suspend
>> will go off 10 seconds after resume so it should have no impact on how
>> long you decide to stay in suspend.
>
> so what is the fundamental difference between deciding to go into low-power
> idle modes to wake up back up on a given point in the future and deciding
> that you are going to be idle for so long that you may as well suspend until
> there is user input?

Low power idle modes are supposed to be transparent. Suspend stops the
monotonic clock, ignores ready threads and switches over to a separate
set of wakeup events/interrupts. We don't suspend until there is user
input, we suspend until there is a wakeup event (user-input, incoming
network data/phone-calls, alarms etc..).

--
Arve Hjønnevåg