    SubjectRe: Please add generic support for root=UUID= at kernel parameter command line (LABEL, BYID maybe also)
    On 27/08/2010 18:37, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

    > I don't really get what you mean.
    > But binary duplication isn't the issue, source-code duplication is.
    > I'd count an initramfs to the binary category. It is "compiled" more or
    > less literaly.

    binary duplication is a waste of space (SSD are'nt cheap) and time.
    Plus, you have a real duplication for the fs-search in grub/lilo/add
    your favorite evolved boot loader there.

    >> 3) The tmpdevfs is also a dupplicate somehow
    >
    > No.
    >
    > devtmpfs uses tmpfs or ramfs as backing-store. And it doesn't really
    > duplicate udev either, as it only does the bare minimum needed to get
    > the computer to the point where udev can do the rest. Like when you have
    > a root filesystem with no /dev at all.

    I know. But It could do just a bit more find creating the
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/foo where foo is the one given ib root=UUID=foo

    --eric

      Last update: 2010-08-27 21:11    [W:0.024 / U:0.480 seconds]