SubjectRe: Please add generic support for root=UUID= at kernel parameter command line (LABEL, BYID maybe also)
On 27/08/2010 18:37, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> I don't really get what you mean.
> But binary duplication isn't the issue, source-code duplication is.
> I'd count an initramfs to the binary category. It is "compiled" more or
> less literaly.

binary duplication is a waste of space (SSD are'nt cheap) and time.
Plus, you have a real duplication for the fs-search in grub/lilo/add
your favorite evolved boot loader there.

>> 3) The tmpdevfs is also a dupplicate somehow
>
> No.
>
> devtmpfs uses tmpfs or ramfs as backing-store. And it doesn't really
> duplicate udev either, as it only does the bare minimum needed to get
> the computer to the point where udev can do the rest. Like when you have
> a root filesystem with no /dev at all.

I know. But It could do just a bit more find creating the
/dev/disk/by-uuid/foo where foo is the one given ib root=UUID=foo

--eric

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans