SubjectRe: divide by zero bug in find_busiest_group
From
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Venkatesh Pallipadi <venki@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Chetan Ahuja <chetan.ahuja@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried reproducing the problem with vanilla kernel and couldn't
> reproduce it. May be your workload is triggering this some how?
> Also, Suresh did recent fixes to rt_avg and this may not be a problem
> after that. I Haven't looked at this case closely after that recent
> change.
>
> Thanks,
> Venki

Venkatesh,

Thanks for your detailed response. I admit complete ignorance of
the actual logic of the complicated cpu_power computations (or indeed,
any other part of the scheduler code). I'm just looking at it from the
perspective of bug-hunting in an unfamiliar piece of code. I think the
three ways we've so far identified the cpu_power can be zero so far
(all three would be extremely low probability events admittedly) are
warning signs that the code is trying to do a bit too much. It seems
to be rather difficult to prove correctness of the math or the
synchronization for my taste. Is there a clear and present use-case
which driving all these complicated computations ?

For one thing, I don't understand the reason for recomputing
cpu_power dynamically. How does cpu_power of a gorup (which I believe
refers to the group of "hyper-threaded" cores on one physical core)
change while inthe system is in operation ? Is this in support of
hot-swappable CPU's or something ?

To be honest, for my use case, I'd like to just disable the whole
work-stealing stuff (referred to as load-balancing in the kernel).
There seems to be no config option that isolates just the dynamic
load-balancing parts (or is there ?) so maybe I'd just hack away the
load-balancing functions by hand so as never to worry about those
denominators again.

Chetan

  Last update: 2010-08-27 01:55    [W:0.081 / U:0.632 seconds]