    SubjectRe: Fwd: help needed with EXPORT_SYMBOL
    Hi everyone

    I am trying to understand if its possible to add functions dynamically
    to the kernel source based on the presence of certain modules in the
    running kernel image.

    I did try what brian suggested with the function pointer and yeah it
    does work. But I could not understand what peter was trying to say about
    modular users since I suppose he mentioned one module (B in this case)
    using a function pointer defined in (or by) module A. In my case, since
    it is the kernel that is gonna use the function, I need to make sure
    that the module doesn't get unloaded while we are using the function.

    By the way Jan I couldnt find bridge.c although there is an object file
    called bridge.o within /net/bridge. Nonetheless, I did check
    nf_nat_ftp.c as an example to see if something similar is being done
    there too. What I did find out is that nf_nat_ftp_hook is rcu assigned
    in nf_nat_ftp.c however this function pointer is being used with
    nf_contrack_ftp.c (im talkin 2.6.27.45 here). In this case, it still is
    module1 <- module2 and not kernel <- module. Could you please elaborate
    a little how it affects the latter case. Or perhaps u were commenting on
    the former case since peter brought that to our notice.

    thanks again for your replies and keen to hear your input
    Regards,
    Aijaz Baig

      Last update: 2010-08-25 11:31    [W:0.028 / U:0.384 seconds]