    SubjectRe: [patch 1/5] mm: add nofail variants of kmalloc kcalloc and kzalloc
    On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 14:11 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:

    > There's still no hard guarantee that the memory will allocatable
    > (GFP_KERNEL, the compaction, then GFP_ATOMIC could all still fail), but I
    > don't see how continuously looping the page allocator is possibly supposed
    > to help in these situations.

    Why do you think I'm a proponent of that behaviour?

    I've been arguing that the existance of GFP_NOFAIL is the bug, and I
    started the whole discussion because your patchset didn't outline the
    purpose of its existance, it merely changes __GFP_NOFAIL usage into
    $foo_nofail() functions, which on its own is a rather daft change.

    Optimizing the page allocator by removing those conditional from its
    innards into an outer loop not used by most callers seems a fine goal,
    but you didn't state that.

    Also, I like the postfix proposed by Andi better: _i_suck() :-)

      Last update: 2010-08-25 23:31    [W:2.196 / U:0.004 seconds]