SubjectRe: RFC: MTU for serving NFS on Infiniband
On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 13:49 -0600, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >> From what I can tell, IP fragmentation is done centrally.
> > [...]
> > Stephen and I are not talking about IP fragmentation, but about the
> > ability to append 'fragments' to an skb rather than putting the entire
> > packet payload in a linear buffer. See
> > <>.
> Any payload has to either fit in the MTU, or has to be broken up into
> MTU-sized (or less) fragments, come hell or high water. That this is done
> centrally is a good thing.

Not necessarily. Offloading it to hardware, where possible, is usually
a performance win.

> It is the "(or less)" part that I am working towards here.

The inability to allocate large linear buffers is not a good reason to
generate packets smaller than the MTU. You are working around the real

Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.