Subject[REGRESSION, bisected] 2.6.36-rc1 - suspend issues
From
Hello,
The merge window is closed so it's time to hunt for bugs. I've got
one, please find details below.
-----------------------

Working kernels: from 2.6.35 - to 2.6.35.2
Non working kernels: from (at least) 2.6.35-git2 - to 2.6.36-rc1
-----------------------

Description of the problem(s):

1. First of all I confirm that the problem is consistent: suspend
works well every time on the 'good' kernels and it newer works (with
the symptoms) on any of the 'bad' kernels. I've tested it several
times on a couple of 'good' and 'bad' kernels to make sure it's not
some random issue.

2. On a bad kernel, this is what happens when I try to switch to suspend mode:
- screen goes blank ['No signal detected !'] - that's OK :)
- either the CPU fan or PSU fan or both are still running and they
won't stop (left it for about 30 min. once)
- the power light is on and still, where in suspend mode it should
blink - that won't change either
- pressing the power button obviously doesn't wake the system up; need
to hard reboot

3. Now, when booting again, after an unsuccessful suspend and hard
reboot, something happens to my network card (and it doesn't matter
what is the next kernel I boot from - it can be any 'good' or 'bad'
one):
- in Gnome, the gnome-panel network indicator shows my connection as
disabled (wired eth0 - the only one I use); enabling it doesn't bring
my network up

4. After re-booting from any of the 'good' or 'bad' kernels my network
connection is working again.

Bisecting turned up the following commit. Reverting it in 2.6.36-rc1
results in a system that works.

commit bd25f4dd6972755579d0ea50d1a5ace2e9b00d1a