SubjectRe: One question about 8250 UART driver
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:16:22AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> > We have a PCI based UART controller that is compatible with the
> > existing 8250 serial driver in most aspects. However, one exception
> > is that our UART controller can take advantage of the onboard DMA
> > contoller to achieve higher throughput. Could you please share your
> > insights about what is the proper way to add such DMA support into
> > existing 8250 driver?
>
> I'd say the same as I said to the other folks who asked this - create a
> new driver. All the DMA based 8250 devices have differing DMA engines
> and it'll become unmanagable in the existing driver.
>
> Once we can see which bits of the existing code are useful for the DMA
> 8250-style devices we can then create an 8250-lib.c which contains the
> bits that are useful to 8250 and to non standard 8250-like devices.

An existing example is drivers/serial/ioc3_serial.c. IOC3 is an SGI
custom chip which is only being used in SGI systems. It has a PCI
master and 486-style slave bus to which a SuperIO chip is connected.
The IOC3 can either be configured to use the chip in legacy mode; then
the standard 8250 driver will work fine. It also support a DMA mode
with receive and transmit rings which make it similar to a network chip.

Ralf

  Last update: 2010-08-17 15:27    [W:0.032 / U:1.144 seconds]