SubjectRe: [linux-pm] Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three
rafael j. wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2010, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:19:34 -0700
> > Brian Swetland <swetland@google.com> wrote:
> > > Question though -- has every feature ever added to the kernel been a
> > > feature that there's pre-existing usage of? Seems like a chicken and
> > > egg problem. Also, some people seem to think there's value in being
> > > able to build kernels "out of the box" that work with the Android
> > > userspace -- given that there are a few devices out there that have
> > > that userspace on 'em.
> >
> > We generally try to merge new features like this along with code that
> > uses said feature, but there are always exceptions. We've merged code
> > one release or more before the new code gets used for example, which is
> > fine IMO. What we don't want to see is some new drop of code added and
> > abandoned, but you already knew that.
> >
> > At any rate, if Felipe is the only one arguing against including
> > suspend blockers in the kernel, you're probably in good shape. Based
> > on my (rather cursory I admit) evaluation of this thread, it seems like
> > reasonable people agree that there's a place for a suspend blocker like
> > API in the kernel, and that dynamic power management is also highly
> > desirable. So where's the git pull request already? :)
>
> In fact my patch going in that direction has been merged already and that
> code will likely be extended to cover some needs and cases I didn't have in
> mind when I was preparing it.
>
> However, having discussed the whole issue for many times and reconsidered it
> thoroughly, I think that it's inappropriate to identify the suspend blockers
> (or wakelocks) framework with the opportunistic suspend feature as proposed in
> the original submission of the "suspend blockers" patchset. IMO they really
> are not the same thing and while the suspend blockers framework is used by
> Android to implement opportunistic suspend, I don't really believe this is the
> right approach.
>
> We really need something similar to suspend blockers to avoid races between
> a suspend process and wakeup events, but it isn't necessary to provide user
> space with an interface allowing it to use these things directly. Such an
> interface is only necessary in the specific implementation in which the system
> is suspended as soon as the number of "active" suspend blockers goes down to
> zero. Arguably, though, this isn't the only possible way to implement a
> mechanism allowing the system to be suspended automatically when it appears
> to be inactive.
>
> Namely, one can use a user space power manager for this purpose and actually
> the OLPC project has been doing that successfully for some time, which clearly
> demonstrates that the Android approach to this problem is not the only one

hey! how did we get dragged into this? :-)

it's true that OLPC has a user-level power management daemon that
implements our suspend policy. it uses various metrics and
heuristics (i've been told that's latin for "hacks") to decide
when the system is "idle enough" to suspend, along with whether
to leave our independent display running or not, and whether to
leave the wlan active, etc. it does a reasonable job for us for
now, but being intimately familiar with the chewing gum and
string that hold it together, i don't want anyone to think we've
solved a Big Problem.

i do think that there's a place for a flexible user-level policy
engine, no matter how the suspend blockers vs. whatever-else
issue plays out. i guess i assumed that that was a given -- does
android not have such a policy manager? surely there's more to
it than just "last one out, turn out the lights"?

(i should also mention that we definitely see the suspend vs.
wakeup events race issue, and are looking forward to ways to
clean that up.)

paul