SubjectRe: + drivers-acpi-apei-erst-dbgc-get_useru64-doesnt-work-on-i386.patch added to -mm tree
[Adding Linux and linux-arch.  The context is that get_user/put_user
don't work on 64 bit values on i386.]

On 08/11/2010 05:33 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Anyway, this should be fixed in x86 core, I suspect.

After looking at it -- and suffering a bad case of déjà vu -- I'm
reluctant to change it, as get/put_user are specified to work only on
locally atomic data:

* This macro copies a single simple variable from user space to kernel
* space. It supports simple types like char and int, but not larger
* data types like structures or arrays.

Given that u64 is not a simple type on 32 bits, it would appear that the
behavior is intentional.

A user might very well find that supporting u64 and/or structure types
would be beneficial, but it would a) be a semantic change, and b) would
introduce the possibility of a partially completed transfer. That is a
semantic change to the interface. However, it may very well be nicer to
have a generally available get_user()/put_user() for the cases which
would just kick an EFAULT up the stack when they fail anyway.

If there is consensus for making get_user/put_user a general interface,
I'm more than willing to do the x86 changes, but I don't want to do them
a) unilaterally and b) for 2.6.36. This seems like .37 material at this
point.

-hpa