SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH] cfq-iosched: Implement cfq group idling
From
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@redhat.com> wrote:
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> writes:

>>> That also takes away service differentiation between queues.  If you
>>> want to maintain that at all, then this is really just pushing the
>>> problem to another layer.
>>>

>> Yes it does take away the io priority with-in group. But I think that's
>> the trade-off and that's not default. So those who don't require ioprio
>> stuff working with-in group and those who know that they have got
>> faster storage will set slice_idle=0. For rest of the SATA users default
>> is still slice_idle=8.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sorry, Vivek, I'm actually hijacking your thread.  ;-)  I know what the
> alternatives are, what I'm looking for is guidance on what Jens wants to
> do with CFQ.  We can discuss the merits of different approaches once we
> agree on a set of requirements.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,
did you have a look at:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1004.3/00082.html (and
following msgs)?
We tried to achieve better throughput on multi-spindle disks, by merging queues.
I think the idea is promising, but we still need a lot of work to make
it concrete.
If you want to hack on it, feel free, since I don't have hardware to test it.

Corrado

dott. Corrado Zoccolo mailto:czoccolo@gmail.com
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy