SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe
On 07/18/2010 08:36 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> By trading off some memory, we don't need this trickery. We can allocate
>> two nmi stacks, so the code becomes:
>>
> I really don't think you need even that. See earlier in the discussion
> about how we could just test %rsp itself. Which makes all the %rip
> testing totally unnecessary, because we don't even need any flags,and
> we have no races because %rsp is atomically changed with taking the
> exception.
>
> Lookie here, the %rsp comparison really isn't that hard:
>
> nmi:
> pushq %rax
> pushq %rdx
> movq %rsp,%rdx # current stack top
> movq 40(%rsp),%rax # old stack top
> xor %rax,%rdx # same 8kB aligned area?
> shrq $13,%rdx # ignore low 13 bits
> je it_is_a_nested_nmi # looks nested..

> doesn't that look pretty simple?

Too simple - an MCE will switch to its own stack, failing the test. Now
that we have correctable MCEs, that's not a good idea.

So the plain everyday sequence

NMI
#PF
MCE (uncompleted)
NMI

will fail.

Plus, even in the non-nested case, you have to copy the stack frame, or
the nested NMI will corrupt it. With stack switching, the nested NMI is
allocated its own frame.

signature is too narrow to contain.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans